SAPP moves emergency motions following flag burnings
Kota Kinabalu, 6 April, 2009: Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) two
assemblymen and two members of Parliament would move emergency
motion to compel the Federal Government to make sure that The
Philippines will drop its claim on Sabah.
Luyang and Likas assemblymen, Melanie Chia and Datuk Liew Teck Chan
as well as Sepanggar and Tawau members of Parliament, Datuk Eric
Majimbun and Datuk Chua Soon Bui would move the motion at the next
The State Legislative Assembly sitting is to start on April 16.
"The move is necessary to determine Sabah's status," they said in a
joint statement, here, yesterday.
They said the move is vital following a man who claimed to be the
descendent of Sultan of Sulu who led 11 others were arrested in
Lahad Datu few days ago for burning Sabah flags during an illegal
"We do not know their motive, but the status of the leader who
claimed to be a descendent of the Sultan of Sulu is a cause for
concern," the four SAPP leaders added.
They said, the flooding of illegal immigrants all over Sabah who
have been arrested and unable to go home to their country of origins
due to technical problems might lead them to cause disturbances
According to them, thousands illegal immigrants especially Filipinos
have been placed at few temporary detention centres but could not be
repatriated because of some technicalities and some of them had
They said it was understood that former Philippines President
Ferdinand Marcos had some time ago stated that his country has
dropped its claims on Sabah.
The Malaysians in Sabah are concerned when a foreign wire has
reported last year that current Philippines President Gloria Arroyo
Macapagal has never make any stand whether to recognize Marcos'
statement or otherwise.
The SAPP leaders further said that Sabah's status is very crucial as
it would make all Malaysians residing in this State in ease if the
claims had really been dropped.
On Saturday, the Lahad Datu police have arrested 12 people including
a man who claimed to be a descendent of the Sultan of Sulu, for
burning few pieces of State flags.
District police chief Supt Md Suhaimi Abdul Rahman said at about
8.40am, police received information that a group of men had burned
six Sabah flags in front of the town's market and a supermarket.
He said some of the men were also seen carrying yellow flags with a
red insignia of a lion on them.
By the time police reached the scene, the men fled and the State
flags were found burnt.
Suhaimi added that some of the men then were seen running towards
the district police headquarters where they were promptly arrested
and being investigated for illegal assembly.
"We are still investigating the motive of the incident but a
41-year-old man who was said to be the group's leader had also
claimed that he was a descendent of the Sultan of Sulu," Suhaimi
Those detained by the police were all males aged between 14 and 41.
More than 80 police personnel were immediately deployed around the
town area following the incident.
The SAPP leaders said the nationality of the others must also be
checked whether they are genuine Malaysians or foreigners holding
Malaysian Identity Cards.
According to them, the killing of a man in Tingkayu, by foreigners
who had fled the country recently over land dispute also caused
They said the unlawful actions of those foreigners residing and
making the State their rice bowl could not be forgiven at all.
They added that the government should not allow such actions, which
could put the safety of the country in danger.
The government, in particular, the security force must stop those
kinds of incident before it could escalate to something that is more
More related news